Sunday, September 20, 2009

WebQuest Adaptations

Although I thought the "Enthusiastic About Edison" webquest was really interesting and engaging, there are a few changes that could be made. Because I was searching for something appropriate for younger students, I decided to scale back the site to a third grade level from a fourth - sixth grade level. The majority of changes would be made in the area of Overall Visual Appeal. From the Fine Points check list, I would adjust:

Fine Point 2.) Some paragraphs tended to be somewhat wordy for third graders. I hope to simplify those by shortening them.

Fine Point 5.) The reading level was a little above third graders in some places. I hope to simplify those instances so that students have a better understanding of the text.

Fine Point 10.) The black back ground and and colorful text provided too much of a contrast to be easily read. I hope to change the "look" to decrease that interference.

A second area of adjustment would involve the Cognitive Level of the Task. The given tasks were great for the stated age range, however, they seemed burdensome for younger students.

Rather than researching 15 important facts about Edison, I would like to decrease the number of facts required and simplify the questions requiring students to use critical thinking. For example: rather than asking students how Edison's inventions have impacted society, I would ask them which of his inventions have they used, and how? What would their lives be like without some of his inventions? What do they think is the most important of Edison's inventions?

These are the changes I hope to make for this webquest. See you in class!

1 comment:

  1. These will be excellent revisions! I look forward to seeing the final version!

    ReplyDelete